Friday, January 29, 2010

don't i know you better than the rest



Echo & the Bunnymen - The Idolness of Gods
Such cathartic singing, with lyrics like "If I’m just half the man I was, I’d say that’s just because I must have gotten lazy." This song wouldn't have showed their post punk roots in any manner. And when McCulloch sings "idolness of gods", it sounds so damn like "idleness of gods". Personally, I think The Idolness of Gods is an excellent piece, reflecting how much McCulloch has grown as a musician and aged, like literally.

Echo & the Bunnymen - Drivetime

Beach House - Zebra
Check out this review (but more the debate going on in the comments section) by The Guardian on Beach House's latest album "Teen Dream" here. Pretty interesting - what they're all saying. And yes, like what many others in the comments, I don't understand how Beach House brings to mind The Antlers, Real Estate and Girls. Ok, a summary is that the reviewer didn't like the album much so it didn't stick with him, so he gave it 2/5 stars. While each person is entitled to his opinion, especially since music is subjective, I really wonder how he could have drawn comparisons to those 3 bands mentioned. They totally sound different! Leaving Beach House out, even the 3 bands aren't of that ilk, their sound is miles apart. So yes, I understand where most commenters are coming from. Meanwhile, I've yet to fully listen to "Teen Dream" but if it is anything like Norway, I would think it's one hell of an album. Meanwhile, check out Zebra with it's gentle guitar picking, as they go on vaguely about being an oasis child, and deception of a black and white horse. Nevertheless, they use the same recipe as they did with "Devotion", not tweaking much of what has earned them countless fans.

No comments: