Friday, January 8, 2010

but you don't lock when you're fleeing



Alela Diane - White As Diamonds
The moment I saw the video, I'm immediately reminded of Pocahontas. They look so alike! That said, her unique voice will not be liked by all. For sure. Initially, I almost wrote her off straight away, but into the 1st minute, I kinda warmed up to her unusual folksy sound. She's been described as another Vashti Bunyan (who by the way is coming down to Singapore for the Mosaic Festival). With a particular string instrument I can't put my finger to (blame my music instrument disinclination) and classic folk strumming of the guitar intersperse those drawn out woh-oh-ohs. Well, for me, this song's a thumbs up.

Bon Iver - Beach Baby
Another track from his fantastic "Blood Bank EP". Does he ever cease to be so amazing? Or are there even instances where he's less amazing? I would totally love him to come down.

Loch Lomond - Blue Lead Fence
Everything is as SXSW describes Loch Lomond on the side. "Loch Lomond stuns. Effortlessly combining symphonic chamber pop with the most raw, visceral and expert melodic acrobatics, the co-ed sextet employs the distinct use of harmonic vocals, mandolin, theremin, bass clarinet, and all manner of exclamatory percussion minutia to foil the even more distinct and arresting voice of lead singer/multi-instrumentalist Ritchie Young."

Midlake - Acts of Man
Simply stunning. Hailing from Texas, this folk-rock band will be releaseing new album "The Courage Of Others" on 2 Feb 2010. They're gonna be 2010's Fleet Foxes.

No comments: