Thursday, December 3, 2009

what you want is just outside your reach



Neon Neon - I Lust U (feat. Cat Le Bon)
Neon Neon is a collaboration between Boom Bip aka Bryan Charles Hollon and Gruff Rhys of Super Furry Animals. This is apparently a one-off, since Rhys says "I don't know about making another Neon Neon album because it was quite a specific record about (John) DeLorean's life story. If we did something in the future it would have to be something different. But it's nice that it did well and we get to play it live."

John DeLorean is the founder of the DeLorean Motor Company and the album "Stainless Style" is a loose concept album based on the tumultuous life of him. And according to Rhys, I Lust U is about a dark period in DeLorean's life when he was having lots of affairs. And true to this album, the song is every bit the frivolous electro-pop. Cat Le Bon's voice in this song is a bit deadpan, but it somehow adds to the robotic laid-back attitude and intended stripped down feel.

Tiësto - I Am Strong (feat. Priscilla Ahn)
Hah, I never expected Priscilla Ahn's voice in a dance song. But to say I'm not pleased with this outcome is wrong. Her voice is magnetic and melds with the deep solid beats nicely. The whole house feel to this song - I love it.

I can't recall where I heard/read this, but Tiësto's collaborations with so many different artists such as Nelly Furtado, Emily Haines of Metric/Broken Social Scene, Tegan and Sara, Jónsi of Sigur Rós, Kele Okereke of Bloc Party, and Calvin Harris amongst others, is due to him wanting to break into various markets (of other countries) and such collabs may increase the exposure to these markets.

Tiësto (with Sneaky Sound System) - I Will Be Here
cool video. How can anyone actually walk like that? Must be lots and lots of training, or maybe just talent. It's like popping, which I think is my favouritest street style of dancing. Speaking of Japanese and walking, I was at the Uniqlo fashion show yesterday and I was taken in after seeing the female models and their unique way of walking. The model strut is so powerful and striking.

Real Estate - Beach Comber
What a nice summer song. Maybe if you'd replace the guitar with the banjo, wonder what it'd sound like.

No comments: