Tuesday, December 29, 2009

50 Favourite Songs of 2009: Part IV



YACHT - Psychic City (Voodoo City)
Ever felt that a song worms it's way into your head and stays there? Well, Psychic City is a classic example. Bubbly and fun, the handclaps and the guitar make up this song. They sing of the tale of three cities, Psychic, Voodoo and Heartbeat. What's the link? It's for you to listen and find out. Nevertheless, I totally love the chorus, in that it's both different (lyrically) and same (beat and rhythm wise). One thing to note though, throw all logic out of the window when you listen to this song, or YACHT for that matter, and just enjoy their music.

official, myspace, last.fm


Neon Indian - Terminally Chill
Right off, you're plunged into a world of 80s psychedelia, a hodgepodge of synths, haziness, nostalgia and what not. Do you hear those birds chirping in the background? Like who incorporates that into their music - Alan Palomo it seems (and it even sounds appropriate for the song). Whatever the case, let loose your inhibitions and and get "caught in the tide" (of Neon Indian). Meanwhile, I'm just drifting in and out of this woozy, intoxicating and echo-ey dope track.

myspace, last.fm


Tycho - Coastal Brake(mp3)
Pure ambient bliss. The idyllic feel, the reverie one could be almost put in. Such beautiful music, I feel inspired to create such music (if I could). Oh well.

official, myspace, last.fm


Animal Collective - Bluish
A little ghostly as he sings of getting lost in a girl's curls. It's not as "over the top" as the other tracks, more understated. I honestly tried, but I really can't put my finger to what makes this song one of my favourites, as a song and amongst MPP. Maybe it's that after all that electronic and synths, I just want something more subtle and simple. And to call an AC track simple is really hard to do so because if you listen to their stuff, you'll realise simple isn't a word used to describe their music.

I like your looks when you get mean
I know I shouldn't say so
But when you claw me like a cat, I'm beaming

It's lovely and sweet but yet positively funny at the same time. And check out this piano cover. It's damn good.

official, myspace, last.fm


Handsome Furs - Radio Kaliningrad
Myspace -> Click song. Youtube provided a shitty recorded version of their live performance. Personally I thought they were pretty under-listened for the year. They cut a pretty good album "Face Control" and Radio Kaliningrad's a frenetic blast that I love. Tight with cool synths and powerful drum machine, while Dan Boeckner's guitar does not let down too.

official, myspace, last.fm


The Decemberists - The Rake's Song
As usual, it's lyrical creativity with The Decemberists. The "narrator" speaks of entering a marriage and how he's saddled with three pests as his wife dies on delivery of the fourth kid. He sings with maniacal glee as he recounts how he kills his three kids and chants "alright, alright, alright".

official, myspace, last.fm


Little Dragon - My Step
Slick disco-esque chorus that certainly reminds me a little of Vitalic's Poison Lips which incidentally is also on this feature. Also the sensual vibe + vocals and the deep groovy beat. Doesn't it already make you wanna move to it? Yukimi Nagano reminds me a little of Yuki Chikudate (Asobi Seksu), both of mixed descent.

official, last.fm


Violens - Doomed
The song has a bit of that choir sound to it, only that you don't have millions of other vocals backing it, but catchy drumbeats and awesome bassline. They dive right in from the get go, immersing you in whimsical and dreamy pop. They never let up throughout the song, giving this good vibe that resonates deep within you. This has to be a must listen for today (coupled with the fact they have a fantastically directed video by Mateo Ramirez). And when they quote influences such as seashells, dreadlocks, gems, sand, veins, ribbons and steel, I know I'm gonna like them.

official, myspace, last.fm


Fanfarlo - I'm A Pilot
Lush orchestration and well crafted coupled with beautiful melodies. That's what I'm A Pilot is about. Deft piano playing at the beginning as the song builds slowly whilst the string-laden crescendo makes it feel grandiose yet affectionate at the same time. Infectious and compelling, they truly sound like a less angsty Arcade Fire and I'll definitely be listening to their brand of chamber indie folk for a while to come.

official, myspace, last.fm


Noah and The Whale - Blue Skies
This is a song for anyone with a broken heart
This is a song for anyone who can't get out of bed

Well, Charlie Fink has explicitly stated who this song is for. But NO! This song is so awesometastic, wonderbulous, not only for the emotion he's portraying, musically I think it's brilliant.

official, myspace, last.fm

Note: My brain and literary skills have been milked to the max trying to give apt descriptions for each track (and even then, a couple were quoted or reused from older posts). I don't think i'll do a write up for 2010's music. Look out for the final 10 tracks for this feature of the year.

No comments: