Thursday, December 16, 2010

i've acquired a taste for silence



Jamie Woon - Wayfaring Stranger
I'm pleased to have chanced upon him as I was clicking through on youtube. Then as I was looking at Warpaint and checking them up on BBC's Sound of 2011, I find out he is longlisted as well! Coincidence or not, I'm beating myself up over finding out about him now. He's got a damn fine voice - so soulful and exuding such strong emotions, some say angelic even. But no quibbles here, he deserves the Sound of 2011 nomination.

Jamie Woon - Wayfaring Stranger (Burial Remix)
I had no idea you could remix such a song. And I had no idea you could make such an excellent song sound as good, or even better, which I thought was gonna be hard to top. It's not over the top dubstep, more appropriate dubs to convey a suitable brooding mood. Unbelievable stuff.

Jamie Woon - Spirits
Check this out. You've really got to. He beatboxes and gets it down on the loop. Man, he sure is a box of surprises. As he croons "Watching our spirits dance on the
on the backs of our lives", you might just be convinced that our spirits are literally dancing. It feels nice watching and hearing art at it's best. With his debut album in the 2011 horizon, it just makes us want more.

Jamie Woon - Night Air
Oh my, marrying subtle electronic with soul, he surprises us yet again. The deep bassline is ponderous and contrasting - it lends a strong powerful stroke to this painting, versus fluidity conveyed by Jamie's vocals. Breathtaking music from this South Londoner and we expect much much more.

Jamie Woon - Night Air (Ramadanman Refix)
Oh yes, it's Ramadanman with his refixes. Sweet.

No comments: