Tuesday, July 27, 2010

you know these dreams can never stay right




Him: Jade
Her: Alexander
Him: Do you remember that day you fell out of my window?
Her: I sure do, you came jumping out after me
Him: Well, you fell on the concrete, nearly broke your ass, you were bleeding all over the place and I rushed you out to the hospital, you remember that?
Her: Yes, I do
Him: Well, there's something I never told you about that night
Her: What didn't you tell me?
Him: While you were sitting in the backseat smoking a cigarette you thought was going to be your last, I was falling deep, deeply in love with you, and I never told you until just now

- Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros in
Home


Villa Nah - Daylight
There's a plethora of bands out there such as Tesla Boy, The Polyamorous Affair to name some off the top of my head, influenced by the sounds of the 80s. I'm not too sure what it sounds like since I was the last of the 80s, but if it's anything to go by, I'm sure it must have been a rollin' good time. Probably trying to recapture the halcyon days and lost youth, the Finnish duo that is Juho Paalosmaa and Tomi Hyyppä employ retro disco beats reminiscent of OMD, Depeche Mode and New Order. You feel the longing amidst the effects-laden vocals and the twinkling synths provide warmth that you're more than glad to retreat in to. There's no hurrying to speak off, where instead, more precise composition reflects the thought they have put into it.

Villa Nah - Emerald Hills
They waste no time and open with 8 bit synths that are a throwback to the 80s yet again, before mellifluous synths take over seamlessly. Akin to a joyous journey of self-discovery, measured intonations are sparse yet provide a curious sense of reality amidst the zen like soundscape they portray. A brilliant ode to the past which ends all too quickly.

Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros - Home
This ragtag bunch almost seem like an American version of BSS. Alex Ebert and Jade Castrinos' vocals intertwine to good effect here; the entire entourage of musical instruments make this a work of unabashed joy, a mix of wonderful romanticism and perky fun. How can anyone not feel unlimited happiness with such whistling and the earnestness that flows free from their voices?

My vote to this video for best use of a song. Triple thumbs up.


On a side note, I would appreciate comments, both good and bad, on the new banner picture.

No comments: