Wednesday, July 7, 2010

they tell their lives through sunken eyes




When I was a young boy, my parents bought me a set of The World Book Encyclopaedia. On any day I would reach for a book and lose myself for hours in its endless pages of maps, photographs and texts. Even when I had a purpose in mind - for instance, a homework assignment on salamanders - I would invariably find myself reading, instead of Salem and its witchhunts or of Salamis, where the Greeks routed the Persians in the fifth century BC. Like all encyclopaedias, it was arranged alphabetically, based on sound and without regard to subject. As a child, I saw it wondrously whimsical and exquisitely inefficient. Perfect for exploration. The "S" volume alone could lead me down 10,000 unconnected highways.

- Ken Robinson in "The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything"



ceo - Prologue
Aptly titled Prologue, this track is shrouded in mystery, takes a pop at the unknown and gives us a little insight into what "White Magic", the debut album of ceo, might be like. A teaser of sorts. Vague and unfathomable. ceo is Eric Berglund, one half of electropop group The Tough Alliance, who founded Sincerely Yours which has the likes of jj, Memory Tapes, Air France and The Honeydrips under it's umbrella.

ceo - Come With Me
A euphoric journey through Eric's vivid imagination, the sweet melody of said song and the not so subtle chanting of "mamma mia" in the background takes you beyond the clouds, but not before putting a smile on your face or your soul. Definitely contrasted with that bad ass mask devoid of expression that Eric puts on in the video. Hurry and get the mp3 from RCRD LBL here.

jj - Things Will Never Be The Same Again
I thought, since I was already at it, I might as well feature stuff from the Sincerely Yours label. Curiously, the bands under them sound similar. Anyhow, going by a multiple thumbs up-ed post on youtube that goes "this song makes me feel like i am on my morning jog, which i loathe, and suddenly without warning a beneficent parrot swoops down and snatches me up by the shoulders. his claws r soft and velvety, however, so i am unharmed. the beauteous parrot takes me up, up, and up into the sky, where the clouds roam. i grab a piece of cloud and taste it, blueberry cotton candy, wonderful. the parrot and i continue our ascent, and we approach the blue ceiling. we gain speed, and pass through the ceiling. love", I guess one could really get high and super duper happy on their songs. I think it's got something to do with that empty yet ethereal sounding voice.

Memory Tapes - Easy Pert Mom
Memory Tapes has been oft cited as chill wave (there's that thing about genre classification) along with Washed Out, Neon Indian. Whatever the case, the new wavey synths, blips and bloops, vague and spacey rhythm never fails to blow my mind. It's spectacular and imperious, and you get the idea Dayve Hawk actually knows what magick he's conjuring. I like.

No comments: