Tuesday, July 6, 2010

it's the start of the end



Cullen - Easily Impressed
Mr Cullen here, who hails from Melbourne, cites Phoenix, Daft Punk, The Beatles and Weezer amongst others as his influences. Debut single Easily Impressed has an intro with Daft Punk-ish synths for a solid backing rhythm. His sweet boppy voice fits the confession of a song to a T, especially in the repeated chorus. A sweet package all in all, his off kilter pop sensibilities in the vein of Phoenix would definitely appeal to the masses.

Grizzly Bear - Foreground (Phoenix Remix)
This has got to be either the smartest or the laziest idea Phoenix has come up with. I think I'd go with the former. Just follow the instructions as said. Personally, I liked what I tried on my first try. I started Foreground when Canon in D Major reached 1:00. Canon in D Major is a slow and classical piece which totally melds into the piano backed masterpiece, where Daniel Rossen holds fort. Brilliant idea, really.

Crystal Castles - Baptism
Permission to go ape over this song please. Been quite a while since we've heard from CC. It's mind blowingly catchy with 8bit synths, warpy vocals that can't be deciphered, deep bass beat that goes thump thump in your head. Delish.

Kinema - My Girls (Animal Collective Cover)
I'm loving this cover by Kinema, and according to themselves, they sound like "really good". I've got to agree with them, though it seems to have polarised opinion on youtube. Uber dancey rendition of AC favourite, My Girls.

Kinema - Let's Get To It
Groovy downtempo electronica (of sorts), this trio quote Giorgio Moroder, Aeroplane, Erlend Oye as influences. Also imbued are certain poppy hooks that are so damn infectious, they seem to be destined for bigger things.

No comments: