Wednesday, June 16, 2010

you’ve always been the soundtrack to my life






"I was in the midst of becoming something new. Standing in front of the mirror, I could see the changes in my body. At night, in the stillness, I swore I could hear the sound of my flesh growing. I was about to be clothed in a new self, about to step into a place where I'd never been... Inside that darkness, I saw rain falling on the sea. Rain falling softly on a vast sea, with no one there to see it. The rain strikes the surface of the sea, yet even the fish don't know it's raining.

Until someone came and lightly rested a hand on my shoulder, my thoughts were of the sea."

- South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami




Stars - Wasted Daylight
Extremely liquid vocals, silky and smooth, like hot butter sliding down a butter knife. Courtesy of Amy Millan, also of Canadian mega-collective BSS. Indie pop at it's best, an aural delight.

Telegraph Avenue - Lauralie
With such a quaint name like Telegraph Avenue, which by the way is a street in Oakland, California, and a song name like Lauralie, how can one not fall in love with the song even without needing to listen to it?

A languid intro that immediately soothes one's senses, putting you at such ease you'd start thinking if you were in the clouds. Thereafter, they go all bossa like with a light beat that could put smiles even on the straightest of faces.

Ian McGlynn & The Dead Radio - Digital Killed the Record Store (mp3)
New Jersey-ian Ian McGlynn has a new project titled Ian McGlynn & The Dead Radio. Check out their boppy beats yet sombre lyrics about the death of the record store, infused with a little love lost. Underlying jangly guitars supply the song with an old school vibe and as the ohh-ohh-ohhs make you ponder about the progression of life, for the progression of technology has almost rendered the record store obsolete. Almost.

No comments: