Sunday, June 6, 2010

i'm caught up in a storm that i don't need no shelter from



Oh dear me.

During my trip, I was listening almost incessantly to songs from 2009, and listening through my 50 Favourites of 2009 list, I suddenly noticed a band and their songs conspicuously missing. For some reason, I had failed to include DP - astonishing. And as I played their songs, it hit me like a train as I realised my folly. So the more I listen, the more I'm thinking, "Just how did it slip through the cracks?"Useful Chamber was already fantastic, but it certainly got better with time, like wine. I hereby dedicate this song to be my favourite of 2009, extremely belatedly.


Dirty Projectors - Useful Chamber

Deep sonorous thumps resonate while being punctuated by the high hat, almost like a sense of foreboding. However, you're greeted with measured vocals, as the lyrics roll off like rivulets of water sliding down the window on a drizzly spring day. You sit by the window, staring out as the occasional patter hits the window, cup of hot tea in hand, utterly mesmerised by the song as you are with the dance on the window.

You ponder as he hits the highs in the song, and as he speak-sings, the album title being chanted hits you. Subsequently, melodious ahhs and ohhs that feel like honey to the ears permeate the still air, you drown yourself further in the slow but purposeful beats - almost hypnotic.

The random outburst of guitar strumming and drums again causes a small smile to break across the pensive face, just as clouds give way to the glorious sun, warm rays showering the earth.

This is Useful Chamber for you.

No comments: