Wednesday, June 9, 2010

every house not a home but dare do i roam



It's a pretty fine day, and for me a fine day is where the weather isn't sweltering, hot and humid. A layer of stickiness and ickiness all over isn't my idea of fine. So anyhow, I'm just sitting here now wondering how come I never did mention Band of Horses' first single for "Cease to Begin". And where from comes the impetus, but an episode of Fringe?

Band of Horses - Is There A Ghost
It's an awfully lovely song, melancholic and melodramatic all at once. And just how do they do it with two simple lines "I could sleep when I lived alone/Is there a ghost in my house?" - beats me. Nevertheless, I love the eerily random yet curiously funny video where it's an almost literal explanation of the lyrics, and the video slowly evolves to quite the hilarious ending, but amidst all, the female protagonist provides the best of turns.

Band of Horses - Blue Beard
Good ol' slow rock. Grand orchestration with such meaningful lyrics, it makes me feel warm and secretly good on the inside. Ben singing as the song chugs along slowly, allows the lyrics to sink in and come alive in your mind. The white snow outside the house, a blanket of soft whiteness. Neon glow of the bar sign hanging lazily on the outside.

Band of Horses - Neighbor
I've got this attachment to their new songs for some reason. It's like on first listen, you feel as if you've heard the song a million times, and it's buried deep inside your head. Or maybe it's the strong imagery their lyrics evoke. I really love it.

No comments: