Friday, August 13, 2010

playing in the park until the sun goes down




Recently, I was at Ritual Cafe in San Francisco’s Mission District downing quad lattes with my old friend Angus. At one point, he noticed an acquaintance who entered the cafe. Within three seconds of him standing up to greet her, I had pulled out my iPhone and was hitting refresh on my incoming tweets and email. I had nothing important to check. The entire encounter took fewer than two minutes. When the woman looked over to introduce herself, there I was with my sweaty hands gripped around my phone. I suddenly realized, I’ve become that guy.

Of course, I’m not the only one. Everyone alone at a table at Ritual was either typing on a laptop or thumbing a smart phone. When I see a guy alone at a cafe without a device open, I assume that he’s either got the iPhone antenna problem or that he’s a serial killer.

- Dave Pell, Tweetagewasteland



Broken Bells - October
Set to an amorphous world of 3D, this trippy journey into the unknown was realised by Flash developer Richard Lehmann and illustrator Matthew Hollister. The group’s 3-D project allows surfers to navigate, save and share a strange universe of mathematical equations, geometric shapes and evocative illustrations. (wired.com)

In a similar vein to their first single, The High Road, October is atmospheric as it is affecting. The content of the 3D journey is befuddling, what with all the random stuff, but overall, it contributes to the trippiness of this song. The two precocious talents in music making straddle the fine line between insanity and brilliance to produce mellow trip rock. A fine track this is.

Mystery Jets - Dreaming of Another World
From their latest offering "Serotonin", they introduce some pop sensibilities to their rockin' and rollin' stuff that is totally feel good. It's true when I say a smile would break across your face in no time once you start listening to the song.

No comments: